The mission of STAR is to promote and help establish Health Equity in the Greater La Crosse Community.
- To encourage routine physical activity in individuals of all abilities as a means of preventative health and wellness.
- To allow individuals of all abilities to enjoy of sport both for recreation and competition.
- To allow inclusive recreation activity. (i.e., those with physical challenges and those without playing together)
- To encourage camaraderie, sportsmanship, leadership, confidence, a healthy active lifestyle, friendship and fun.
- It is hoped that participants will learn skills and lessons about life that they will be able to apply in future employment and as contributing members of our society.
We recognize that individuals with physical disabilities frequently have excessive medical expenses and may have limitations in employment opportunities. We recognize that these additional financial burdens may prevent individuals from participating. As an organization we will strive to minimize the financial burden of participants.
Our Goals are to help:
- Optimize the quality of life for individuals with disabilities.
- Minimize secondary health issues due to disability and inactivity.
- Decrease health care expenditures.
- Educate future professionals in the care of individuals with disabilities.
- Eliminate barriers to activity for those with disabilities.
- Decrease social services expenditures.